One of the best things about coming home from work is having a plan in place for dinner. This is extremely important to help maintain your sense of balance between work and home life. In addition to this, having a simple, tasty, one-pot meal ready to go is an added bonus! This meal is very quick to throw together and it includes healthy vegetables like cauliflower and kale. The shrimp adds protein and sweetness to the dish while I spice it up with some crushed red pepper. This is a great low-carb dish that will leave you satisfied and full without any of the regret. It uses only one pot and is super quick on the stove top where it only takes about 20 minutes.
Here’s what you will need for this Shrimp and Veggie saute:
- 1 Package of frozen 26/30 shrimp thawed with tails removed
- I use this size because they are hearty yet reasonably priced at my store
- I remove the tails prior to cooking because it makes it easier when it comes time to eat
- 2-3 green onions
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- seeds removed and diced
- 1 10 oz frozen package of riced cauliflower
- you can use any brand with or without additional flavorings
- the one I used had some additional garlic flavoring
- 1 frozen 10 oz package of chopped kale
- 3 Tbsp of butter
- 2 tsp of garlic oil
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes- more if you like it hot
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- a healthy pinch of pink Himalayan salt to taste
Into a dutch oven on medium heat, melt the butter then add garlic oil, red pepper, black pepper, Italian spices, and salt. I use my Lodge enameled dutch oven. This is used so much that I do not even remove it from my stove top! Once the butter is completely melted and the spices have had time to ‘mingle’, add the frozen packages of kale and riced cauliflower. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to medium/low for about 10 minutes. This will give the veggies time to thaw and cook. Remove the lid and add the shrimp, diced tomatoes, and scallions. Stir and add a healthy pinch of salt to taste. You can put the lid back on for a few more minutes to get everything heated through.
The great thing about this meal is that it is super quick and easy to clean up. Additionally, for those not on a low carb diet, it can be served with warm rolls or ready made, microwavable, seasoned rice. It is very versatile and you can scale this dish up to accommodate the number of people in your family. As written, this serves four in my family. I hope you enjoy!